Birchanger Social Club

An important part of the Village for the last 110 years is the Birchanger Social club which up to the millennium was known as the Birchanger Working Mens Social Club.

The Club was opened in 1891 thanks to a benefactor, Sir Charles Gold, who donated the large area of land on which the Club house, football/cricket pitch and bowling green are located.

The club had 79 members in its first year and the first steward, William Smith, had served 21 years with the 14th Hussars and probably knew how to keep the rowdy elements in control.

Over the years the club house has expanded as has its membership, which now attracts members from many miles around.

Sepia Club

An early picture of the club.


Club and old route of Lane

A later view of the club showing the old route of Birchanger Lane


Club Committee circa 1900

The Committee circa 1900